Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taking a Time Out

My brother, Bryan, invited me to a Dave Brubeck concert on Tuesday night. We had really good seats; 8th row from the stage!! Dave Brubeck is probably one of the most well-known Jazz pianists of all time. I was amazed at how well he played, especially for his age. The rest of his quartet wasn't all that bad either! It is interesting, to me, the power and influence music has on our emotions. There were a few solo pieces that really struck me and moved me almost to tears. I know that sounds cheesy and maybe a little corny, but it's true. The music was absolutely wonderful. After the concert, we were able to go to a special reception held in his honor. Bryan was able to shake his hand and I was able to rub elbows with him. Dave's hands were tired after the concert and then after shaking everyone's hands. When I walked up to him he said, "Elbows. Elbows." And then he stuck his elbow in my direction. I stuck out mine and we all had a good laugh. If you haven't ever listened to Dave Brubeck, I strongly recommend taking a time-out and treating yourself to some excellent Jazz music.

No comments: